Friday, May 3, 2013

"The Sami Callihan Story" - Forward

So, I know it’s been quiet here lately. Too quiet. Because I’ve been working on a couple things, but one in particular that I’ll share here starting Monday.

I should preface this by saying I’ve recently given up watching WWE. Not wrestling, mind you...just WWE. I find their particular product to be stale, boring, and lazily written and I’ve waited over a year and a half for them to change that. And I lost my patience. And I discovered a TON of other wrestling companies and promotions out there (thanks you so much, internet!) doing it so much better than the supposed “industry leader” that I’ve shifted toward them.

There’s a guy out there on the indy scene I really dig, and that’s Sami Callihan. He’s a rough-house style wrestler who’s damn good at what he does in that ring. He certainly has a different look (as you can see to the left). And, my God, can he talk. And, of course, as soon as I really starting getting into this guy, rumor spreads like wildfire that he’s being signed by WWE.

So, thinking about that and how lackluster the WWE product has been lately, and about how I dig this guy’s character, an idea so simple it’s astonishing hit me like the proverbial kick in the nuts:

What if Sami Callihan did sign with WWE?

I haven’t written a good wrestling story...like, as in if I were writing the shows...in a good while. So, I decided to book Callihan’s first 6-7 months in WWE. As realistically as I could, using just the current roster and keeping it within the paramaters of WWE’s current “PG” product. With a particular story to be told, using only a handful of performers/characters to focus just on Callihan and his story. I think I did a decent job of it, but then I’m, of course, a little biased.

However, you can certainly judge for yourself because the entire story is going up in a 5-6 week serial (a chapter for each month, give or take a week or two) starting Monday. Right during Raw, the longest running weekly block of boredom on television. So, if you’re watching the show and maybe want to read how things could have been? Stay tuned here on Monday nights. Starting May 6.

No comments: