Sunday, April 17, 2016

The New-ish

And now, the new stuff. New to myself and you, really. Not a long screed by any means, but just wanted to get it out. And that's what this thing is for now.

++++++++++++++



I finally saw this video for the first time last night. Stumbled across it looking foir something else, really. Remember when the song came out and how (kinda) big it got.

My prevailing thought, upon finally seeing it?

Damn, but they wanted this girl to break out like Gwen Stefani did. 

"This girl" is Monique Powell, by the way. And I'm sure that label would have killed anything to make her into the kind of star that Stefani already was at that point.

I had to fact-check myself because I wasn't 100% sure of the timeline. No Doubt was starting to gain momentum in 1995 with "Just a Girl" and "Spiderwebs." Then "Don't Speak" happened in 1996 and that popularity friggin' detonated. You couldn't sneeze without hitting them on MTV.

"Come on Eileen," the above video? Came out in 1997.

I stand by my theory.

No comments: